02 March 2015

Flea Market Swap 3 - The Big Day!



Last week I talked about 'Flea Market Swap 3' organized by Charlotte from Ciburbanity. You've probably spotted Charlotte on the back page of the March issue of BHG, in her beautiful lavender living room. A lot of planning goes on behind the scenes of these projects, so a big thanks to Charlotte for organizing all of this!

Here's a look back at the flea market treasures I received from Karen (Year Of Serendipity), before I made any changes:


It took me a while to come up with a plan. Then one night over a glass of wine and the latest episode of Vanderpump Rules, inspiration struck! *When I feel like I'm winning at life because I don't watch anything Kardashian, I remember that I faithfully follow Vanderpump Rules and Dance Moms and step down off my pedestal*

TA DA!







I used leftover paint from the foyer chair rail project, which is an ivory semi-gloss. I knew I wanted a "wood & white" combination for the bottom of the tray, and I wanted to keep the design simple. The bottom is made of two very thin pieces of plywood from Michael's, which Jason cut to size. If you look closely you can see a seam in the middle, but please don't look closely.  :) I covered the tray bottom in a light natural stain, then taped and painted the arrow before gluing the wood to the frame with a hot glue gun. Total cost: $2.30 for the wood, all other supplies were already on hand.

This wooden beauty really had me stumped. It's small, like the size of my hand small. I could live quite happily with a tiny succulent in every room of my house, and this guy works as a tiny succulent container.  I tried to add a round base made of balsa wood, thin enough that I could cut it with scissors, but that was a fail. The wood splintered and the glue was visible. I found this tiny wood slice in my craft stash, and it fit! I like the "wood on wood" effect. It has a natural and organic feel. The wooden ring was lightly glued to the round, then I added dirt and rocks from a separate plant. Total cost: $0

The possibilities were endless for this jewelry box. I could have gone crazy with color, adornments, stenciled patterns, etc. With so many options, I went in the opposite direction and chose to keep it as simple as possible. I also wanted to keep the aesthetic of these three items similar enough that they look good together in a single picture. So after sanding off the high-gloss stain & majestic horse scene, and removing the cheap gold hardware, I filled in the holes and applied two coats of the same paint that I used on the frame/tray. I left the inside untouched because it's cedar and who paints over cedar? That smell is heavenly. I attached a turquoise arrow-shaped bead with hot glue, but left the hardware off. I like that the lid comes off completely. I thought about filling the inside with dirt, stones, and a succulent, but I don't want to the be lady who fills everything with dirt, stones, and succulents. Stones & candles it is. Total cost: $6.30 for the string of turquoise beads, but I only used one.

Now it's time to join Brandi (Don't Disturb This Groove). I can't wait to see what she did with the treasures I sent her:


Well this was fun! Please visit the other ladies to see their transformations...we'll be here all week!



 photo c44d9eee-e722-4c7c-8035-483a6e49f131.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...