This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience, but this does not cost you a penny. I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase from that link. This in no way affects my opinions or the products I use. See my full disclosure policy here.
This dresser marks my first furniture project of the year, and provides a peek at the direction I'm headed in the master bedroom.
This is what the dresser looked like when I brought it home from Goodwill. The hardware looks so wrong, completely out of place.
I was initially confused by the hardware, because the lines of the dresser clash with the ubiquitous 80's brass pulls. Regardless, for $30 I snapped it up when I saw the familiar Bassett stamp inside. Removing the brass pulls revealed the original factory-drilled hardware holes; two vertical holes about an inch and a half apart. Vertical holes - that is, like, Demogorgon strange.
This is when I go down a rabbit hole of research and vintage furniture geekdom. I had never seen vertically attached hardware, and no amount of lazy research brought up an image of hardware that would be mounted vertically. I stopped being lazy, moved the dresser, and peeked at the hand-written code on the back, read "Sculptique" which led to an image of this dresser with the original hardware, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe for the first time, I didn't love the original hardware. They are better than the colonial-style replacements, but definitely not my favorite. Still, mystery solved.
Aside from slight damage to the top, the wood was in amazing condition. I labored over the decision to paint the frame, but I don't regret it. If I change my mind and decide to go back to full stain, it isn't a huge undertaking to strip & sand the frame.
For new hardware, I chose a simple concave knob, similar to this satin nickel knob. I looked everywhere for a simple brass knob, but they were either too expensive or the wrong size. When I found these, I had every intention of changing the finish to brass, but once attached, I actually liked the cool metal. That never happens; I'm a brass girl! Once the bedroom comes together, there will be a fair amount of brass and warm metals, so I will probably update these pulls with Rub N Buff. Stay tuned. This is exciting stuff.
The white paint is Annie Sloan in Old White, sealed with Clear Wax. The drawers and top were given a coat of Danish Oil in Dark Walnut, and that's it! There is no sealer required with Danish Oil. I rub it on with an old sock. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I almost left it bare because I was hypnotized by the natural wood. Our new headboard is a dark walnut though, and the bare wood looked odd with the headboard. I appreciate a mix & match approach to decorating a room, but this didn't mix or match. It looked completely disjointed.
The most intense part of this project was filling the old hardware holes - four per drawer. I use stainable wood filler to fill the holes, sanding smooth once it dried completely, and applied the Danish Oil right over the sanded wood filler.
The art is a beautiful menu saved from a favorite Minneapolis restaurant, Chino Latino. I have another menu with a different image, and that one will eventually be framed too. The smaller black and white is a side-by-side of my Dad, who probably owned something similar to this dresser in the 1960's. I like to think so.
I'll have more to share from the master bedroom soon. I'm putting a design board together now, and that is a challenge!
1. Refreshed Desk Using CeCe Caldwell Paint from On Fern Avenue
2. Midcentury Dresser in Walnut and White from 58 Water Street
3. Vintage White Furniture Co. Nightstands from That Sweet Tea Life
4. Rescued Relic To Elegant Eggplant Buffet from Whimsy and Wood
5. Using Stain To Tone Wood from J Burns Design
6. Weathered Gray Painted Jewelry Chest from Just The Woods
7. Natural Furniture Distressing Technique from Thirty Eighth Street